VIETNAM WORKING VISA
For foreigners who wish to build career in Vietnam, a Vietnam working visa is needed. This article will supply you all up-to-date information about this type of Vietnam visa.
Vietnam work visa, short for LĐ visa, is specially granted for foreigners who attain employment in Vietnam. To issue work visa, a work permit is required and sponsored by a company you are employed. LĐ visa is usually issued with single or multiple entry and its validity is up to 1 year. A temporary residence card is also granted to replace LĐ visa to allow to stay up 2 years.
Validity of Vietnam work visa
Regardless of the length of the employment contract or the validity of work permit, foreigners can only obtain a work visa for the maximum period up to 1 year. Single or multiple entry option is given to this visa type.
Who is eligible to get Vietnam work visa?
According to the Labor Code of Vietnam 2012, foreigners applying for work visa in Vietnam have to match the following basic requirements:
- At least the age of full 18 years old and have full civil act capacity;
- Have the good health, professional skills and corresponding work experience to fulfill the condition of relevant vacancy;
- Have no criminal record or bring into account according to Vietnamese laws, as well as laws of other countries;
- Have a Vietnam work permit granted by the Ministry of Labour, War Invalids and Social Affairs (MOLISA).
Vietnam work visa requirements and documents
There are some crucial documents required to submit when you wish to apply for LĐ visa. So, make sure that you collect and gather all of those as enlisted in the following:
1. Passport: Applicant’s passport has at least 6 months before it is expired and one blank page in it for visa stamp.
3. Supporting documents from sponsoring company includes:
- The notarized copy of Certificate of Organization or Business Registration License;
- The copy of Seal Certificate of the Enterprise (NA16)
- Sponsorship letter
- NA2 Vietnamese visa application form
Note: Other documents may be asked to submit along, depending on your nationality and the nature of your work.
Where to apply for a Vietnam work visa?
Vietnam offers two options to foreigner employees to obtain Vietnam working visa including: getting LĐ visa through Vietnamese Embassy and Visa on arrival. Actually, regulations and lengthy process at Embassy may take more time than visa on arrival so foreigners have intend to take the former way for convenience and time-saving.
How to get a Vietnam work visa?
In case you are issued a Vietnam work permit, you can continue obtaining a Vietnam work visa according the two following ways:
Option 1: Obtaining Vietnam work visa on arrival
- Submit us all documents required above through our email: email@example.com
- Payment for visa service fee via one of ways: Paypal, Western Union, Bank Transfer
- Receive a visa approval letter via email
- Present the visa letter with Vietnamese visa application form, 02 passport sized photos, stamping fee and original passport in order to take a LĐ visa stamped on your passport.
Option 2: Applying through Vietnam Embassy: you can contact the Vietnam Embassy nearest to your place and follow their procedures and instructions.
- Prepare all necessary requirements above and download the visa form from the local Vietnam Embassy’s website and fill it up
- Bring the required documents with you to Vietnamese Embassy and follow its guideline
- Within about 05 working days from the receipt of the application, the Immigration Department shall check out, consider and send a LĐ visa to you. To save time, you can get your passport and visa thanks to post or courier service in case the Embassy accept those ways.
Vietnam work visa fees
Visa on Arrival: With this option, you are required to pay for two mandatory fees: service fee and stamping fee.
• Service fee: it is paid online via one of ways: Paypal, Western Union, Bank Transfer. It can vary depending on how fast you want to get a service delivered.
• Stamping fee: the applicants have to pay directly at Immigration Counter in every international airport. Payment must be made in cash in USD or VN (credit card might not be acceptable and there is no ATM at the airport). Check details about Vietnam visa on arrival costs
Generally speaking, LĐ visa service fee is determined by the applicant’s nationality; processing time; number of entry and company sponsored for work visa.
Visa at the Embassy: Visa fee can be changeable from this Embassy to another. Therefore, you can contact directly them to ask for detailed cost.
Processing time for Vietnam work visa
For visa on arrival, it takes 5-7 working days for standard processing. For example, if you submit your visa application on Monday (this week), you will receive a visa approval letter on next Tuesday (following week). If you are in rush to get visa, urgent processing is highly recommended to apply with paying some extra fees. Specifically, you are charged 50 USD more for 1 working day or 25 USD more for 2-3 working days.
For visa at the Vietnam Embassy: Basically, processing time is taken from 5-7 working days if you submit your visa application form at the Vietnam Embassy.
Vietnam work visa extension
While in Vietnam, foreigners can extend their work visa if they wish to prolong their stay due to the demand from their job. However, the maximum of extension per each time is for period of 3 months only. To extend visa, the applicants are advised to contact local agency to handle it on behalf of themselves.
Any age limits on working visa for Vietnam?
According to Vietnam Labor Law, in order to obtain an employment visa, the applicant must be aged from 18 to 60 year old. However, such requirement can be flexible in case your sponsoring company still gets a visa approval letter for working purpose if you are out of working-age range.
Most commonly asked questions about Vietnam work visa
Q1: If I don’t have work permit before arriving in Vietnam, Can I apply for work visa?
A: No, you can’t. Alternatively, in this case you can get a business visa (DN visa) instead. Once you enter Vietnam, you can apply for work permit then. Some agencies can suggest you to use tourist visa (LĐ visa) to enter and exit regularly, but it is not highly advised because you can be paid fine for misusing visa type.
Q2: Can I work in Vietnam WITHOUT work permit?
A: Yes, you can if you belong to one of the following cases:
• Working duration is less than 3 months.
• Members of a limited company which include more than 1 member.
• Owner of one member limited company in Vietnam.
• Members of BOD at a joint stock company.
• Doing service sales activities for a foreign company in Vietnam.
• Foreign lawyer with a law practice license issued by the Ministry of justice
Q3: Do I need a Vietnam work visa if I have a work permit?
A: You absolutely need a work visa to live and work in Vietnam. A work permit is just a document that allows you to work in Vietnam legally. If you want to stay here legally you must have to apply a work visa as well.
Q4: How to transfer work visa to a new company?
A: If you switch off to a new company, you have to do the whole process again, including obtaining a new work then apply for work visa sponsored by your new company later on.
If you have any questions about the process of Vietnam work visa, please kindly let us know. Vietnamvisavoa team is more than happy to assist you!
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +84969255515(Whatsapp/Viber/Wechat)