Vietnam Visa on Arrival
Vietnam visa on arrival is a simple way of getting Vietnam visa at Vietnam Airport. You just need to follow some easy steps online to have Vietnam visa stamped upon arrival
Applying for Vietnam visa could be a nuisance if you don’t know which type of visa you should go for. Generally was ever known as a closed country, Vietnam has made a recent improvement in the visa process to welcome more tourists. People who wish to travel to Vietnam have more options to choose when it comes to visa. In this article, we will mainly discuss visa on arrival.
General information on Vietnam visa on arrival
What is Vietnam visa on arrival? Vietnam visa on arrival is alternative application which you obtain your visa upon landing at the Vietnam airport instead of having it in hands before you get on the plane. This method is only applicable for those who travel to Vietnam by air. You can pick up the visa at four international airports in Vietnam, including Noi Bai International Airport, Tan Son Nhat International Airport, Cam Ranh International Airport, and Da Nang International Airport.
Applicants need to fill an online application, prepare required documents and bring all the documents with their passports to the airport to get the stamp. The process for applying for visa on arrival is simple and comfortable. All you need is a good Internet connection and money to pay for the application fee and stamping fee at the airport.
Applicants don’t have to contact the Vietnamese embassy regarding their application for the visa on arrival. Visa on arrival is a time-saving, cost-efficient, and handy option for those who want to get Vietnamese visa without troubles. Your visa application will be processed in 2 days or even 4 hours in urgent case. A letter of approval will be sent to your email to confirm that you are now eligible for visa on arrival.
Legal bases for Vietnam visa on arrival
Vietnam visa on arrival is issued by Vietnam Immigration Department and legalized by Ordinance on entry, exit, and residence of foreigners in Vietnam, and Government’s Law No. 47/2014/QH13.
The new law lays out a set of fundamental principles in determining the entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners within Vietnam’s territory. The law also states clearly who is eligible for Vietnam visa on arrival, for how long and under which conditions.
Below are Article 10 and Article 18 from the law for your information.
Article 10. Conditions for visa issuance
A person shall be issued with a visa when he/she:
1. Has a passport or laissez-passer.
2. Is invited or sponsored by an organization or individual in Vietnam, except for the cases mentioned in Clause 3 Article 17 of this Law.
3. Not suspended from entry in the cases mentioned in Article 21 of this Law.
4. Proof of entry purposes must be provided when applying for a visa in the following cases:
a) Any foreigner who comes to make investment must have papers proving the investment in Vietnam in accordance with the Law on Investment;
b) Any foreigner who works as a lawyer in Vietnam must have a practice license in accordance with the Law of Lawyers;
c) Any foreigner who comes to work in Vietnam must have work permits in accordance with the Labor Code;
d) Any foreigner who comes to study in Vietnam must have written acceptance of a school or an education institution in Vietnam.
Article 18. Visa issuance at border checkpoints
1. A foreigner shall be issued with a visa at a border checkpoint in the following cases:
a) The foreigner departs from a country that does not have any visa-issuing authority of Vietnam;
b) The foreigner has to stop by multiple countries before arriving at Vietnam;
c) The foreigner comes to Vietnam to take a tour organized by an international tourism company in Vietnam;
d) Foreign crewmembers of a ship anchoring at a Vietnam’s port and wish to leave Vietnam through another border checkpoint;
dd) The foreigner comes to Vietnam to attend a funeral of his/her relative, or to visit a gravely ill relative;
e) The foreigner comes to Vietnam to participate in dealing with an emergency, rescue, prevention of natural disasters, epidemics, or for another purpose at the request of a competent authority of Vietnam.
2. Any foreigner issued with a visa at a border checkpoint shall submit his/her passport or laissez-passer, fill the application for the visa, and append his/her picture at the immigration counter. A child under 14 years of age shall be mentioned in the same application filled by his/her parent or guardian in case the child use the same passport of his/her parent or guardian.
3. The immigration counter shall compare the application with the notification of the immigration authority to issue the visa.
Requirements for Vietnam visa on arrival
Applicants who want to obtain Vietnam visa on arrival must comply with the following requirements:
• Applicants must present a passport with at least 6 months of validity. The passport must have at least two empty pages. In case you do your passport doesn’t have any blank pages, a loose-leaf visa is also available.
• Photos for online application must be taken recently, within 6 months from the date of your submission.
• The valid period of stay will be counted from the proposed travel date in the application form, not the date of application.
• Vietnam visa on arrival only supports two types of visa, including tourist visa on arrival and business visa on arrival. Therefore, the purpose of visiting must be either sightseeing or business-related.
• Vietnam visa on arrival can only be obtained at four international airports in Vietnam.
Passport requirement: Your passport expiration date must be at least 6 month from the date of entry
If you still have any questions about Vietnam visa on arrival, feel free to talk to our support team at: